Who needs to file federal taxes


All US citizens and Green Card holders must pay US income tax. Whole worldwide income is considered, not just income from the United States.


Anyone living and earning in the US may be required to file a US tax return, depending on source of income and tax filing status.

Groups of non-US citizens obliged to file the tax return

  1. non-resident alien individual engaged or considered to be engaged in a trade or business in the United States during the year
  2. non-resident alien individual who is not engaged in a trade or business in the United States and has U.S. income on which the tax liability was not satisfied by the withholding of tax at the source.
  3. representative or agent responsible for filing the return of an individual described in previous points
  4. fiduciary for a nonresident alien estate or trust, or
  5. resident or domestic fiduciary, or other person, charged with the care of the person or property of a nonresident individual may be required to file an income tax return for that individual and pay the tax

Still not sure? See the official questionnaire to find out if you need to file a US tax return.

How to file a federal tax return

First you need to prepare all documents


  1. Choose your filing status. Based on your marriage status and percentage you pay towards household expenses.
  2. Choose how to file your taxes. The best option is to use one of the tax preparation softwares, including free options.
  3. Determine if you are taking the standard deduction or itemizing your return.
  4. Make a tax payment in case you owe something.
  5. File your taxes, before April 15 (2019 return postponed until July 2020)


Simply choose whether to pay by a card or bank transfer and pay the owed amount.
Are you waiting for a tax refund? Check your status here.


W-2 Employer form – required for each work during the year
Earning an interest statement – 1099, and 1099-INT